The Elimination DietDo you suffer from:
-Digestive distress (bloating, excess gas, constipation, diarrhea, IBS)
-Skin issues (acne, eczema, dry or itchy skin)
-Respiratory problems (heavy mucus production, regular colds)
Then join Kirsty Terry, Functional Medicine Practitioner as she guides you through the IFM elimination diet and the Food re-introduction phase.
Identifying Adverse Reactions to Food
Food reactions are often overlooked as a contributor to chronic health issues including inflammation and Food sensitivities and intolerances are so common that up to 20% of people worldwide suffer from them!
Adverse reactions to food can be broken down into three categories: allergies, intolerances, and sensitivities. Luckily, there are different tests available to diagnose most food allergies such as skin and blood panels. However, food sensitivities and intolerances are more tricky to pinpoint.
If you or your healthcare practitioner suspects that you have a food intolerance or sensitivity, the 'gold standard' way to identify the foods that cause negative symptoms is to eliminate those foods from your diet for a certain period of time, then reintroduce those foods one by one, paying close attention to your body’s reaction.
An elimination diets removes the foods most likely to irritate your body and contribute to chronic inflammation and focuses on nutrient-dense foods such as vegetables, fruits, healthy fats, and meats all for a period of 21 days. Once you start reintroducing foods you’ll be able to see exactly which foods aggravate your body.
The Institute of Functional Medicine has a comprehensive set of resources including the following:
- Comprehensive Elimination Diet,
- Weekly Planner
- Food Plan/Shopping Plan
- Food Reintroduction Symptoms Tracker, and
- Diet, Nutrition, and Lifestyle Journals
- The 5R Approach to a Healthy Gut
- RTT™ The Elimination Diet Mindset
The Top Benefits of an Elimination diet:
1. The 'Gold Standard' way to discover all your adverse food reactions.
2. Restore your energy and overall vitality with the most nutrient-dense foods giving your body exactly what it needs to calm inflammation and encourage overall healing.
3. It’s comprised of filling, hearty food so you don't have to eat like a rabbit or go hungry.
4. The food is easy to make and includes a food shopping list and meal plan guide to help you feel confident starting out.
5. It’s not dieting, it's a rational evidence based healthy way of eating. and as a side effect of getting healthy, you will look and feel great, and lose weight almost by accident as a natural by-product of radiant health.
6. You don’t have to count calories or points.
7. It works to heal your gut with powerful food medicines and avoiding foods that destroy your gut.
8. It allows you to customise a food plan that works for your body, to give you a sustainable way of eating for the rest of your life.
9. As a side effect of getting healthy, you will look and feel great, and lose weight almost by accident as a natural by-product of radiant health.
Disclaimer: The functional medicine approach is NOT a replacement for treatment by your primary medical physician, and you MUST seek approval prior to making any of the lifestyle recommendations in this course.